Saturday, April 1, 2017

TROG 2016!

I converted the 741 to a TROG racer and it ran in The Race of Gentlemen (TROG) on the beach at wild, wild, Wildwood, NJ in June 2016.

Being too old to barely stand up, let alone handle a squirming speed devil on sand, I had my brave nephew Bryan Ames, an experienced motorcyclist, race it for me. He was given two days to learn to handle the foot clutch, hand shift antique before hitting the beach and facing the fierce competition.

I may be a liar but I'm sure I remember my #15 and its rider the novice racer Bryan Ames beating 3 out of 5 Harley Davidson 45's.


MODIFICATIONS

Engine stroked to 47 cubic inches with Bonneville cams by ACE Indian motor builder James Solberg (pictured below) of Middletown, Ohio. The blue tanks were temporary replacements while the bike's original soldered steel tanks were being lined for a measure of safety from a fuel fire due to solder failure from vibration and leakage during racing.


Bob deals with the chassis and adds Firestone ANS tires.



Added a reproduction, butt-killing, Troxel Ace seat made by Antique Moto Smith:


 Drop down handlebars by Kiwi Indian and hand painted number plates:


Anxious to leave my shop and race:


 World's greatest flagger!





 Something needed attention after every run. Here a broken throttle cable:


Great B&W photographs of the pit crew in action:



Bob and son Emmett make up the pit crew for #15:


 Waiting, waiting, and waiting:




Racer and his sponsor:



Bob with his sister Betty attending TROG, the mother of #15 racer Bryan Ames, to whom I promised he would not get killed racing here.



 Looking forward to TROG 2017!